Jobs at NetSI
Postdoc (Machine Intelligence/Interdisciplinary) - NetSI Roux
The Network Science Institute (NetSI) is growing the research hub site at The Roux Institute in Portland, Maine. NetSI is hiring postdoctoral researchers to join a global community of interdisciplinary faculty, researchers, and graduate students.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis starting December 15th, 2023 until the position is filled.
This fully funded position is renewable for up to two years pending satisfactory performance. Starting date is negotiable, beginning as early as January 2024. Compensation is competitive and includes benefits. The successful candidate will be affiliated both with the Network Science Institute and The Roux Institute. This position is in Portland, Maine.
This joint NetSI-Roux position targets early career interdisciplinary computational and network scientists with focus on candidates with prior research experience at the intersection between network science, data science, epidemiology, economics, computational social science, urban science, climate science, and artificial intelligence. Examples of relevant research topics/past experience include: modeling of complex socio-technical systems; analysis of large-scale spatiotemporal data; econometrics and causal inference; determinants of human behavior; ensemble forecasting; Bayesian deep learning; generative artificial intelligence; etc.
The successful candidate will also have the opportunity to be involved in the activities of the newly CDC-funded Center for Advanced Epidemic Analytics and Predictive Modeling Technology (EPISTORM) at Northeastern University. EPISTORM is a consortium comprising 10 different research institutions, healthcare systems, and private companies that will use a variety of tools including wastewater surveillance, AI and machine learning, and other predictive analytics to help the U.S. make more informed decisions during future outbreaks of infectious diseases.
- Assist in initiating, executing, and completing research and experiments
- Prepare and write research papers, presentations, grant proposals, and other related research activities
- Foster a safe, inclusive, welcoming, and collaborative environment
- Collaborate with the principal investigator and students across multiple academic and industry organizations
- Potential additional responsibilities, depending on position seniority, include: assist in laboratory management, graduate student training/advising, and co-op student mentoring
The individual filling this position will also be expected to actively participate in the community by organizing and attending scientific talks, workshops, and conferences; by engaging with The Roux Institute community, which includes faculty, researchers, graduate students, and industry researchers (co-located at the Roux Institute); and with the doctoral trainees enrolled in the NetSI PhD program in Network Science.
Applicants should have completed or be near completion of a PhD or equivalent by the start date of the position. Successful candidates should be able to undertake substantially full-time research or scholarship; work under the supervision of a senior scholar; and have strong communication and writing skills.
Applications are invited from any relevant discipline including: Physics, Statistics, Economics, Data Science, Computer Science, Social and Behavioral Sciences, Public Health, Transportation Engineering, Urban Studies, or other related quantitative topics.
Experience in large-scale simulations and/or analyzing large-scale datasets is strongly preferred.
There will be a preference for candidates who have past experience with, or show the potential for, interdisciplinary collaborations and who have strong computational/analytical skills.
Preference will be given to candidates with: a) relevant coding experience in (Python OR R) AND (Julia OR C OR C++); and b) prior experience in using HPC and/or cloud computing resources.
The Interested candidates should submit the following:
- Curriculum Vitae with pointers to your research/expertise-related online profiles (e.g. Google Scholar, Github, Gitlab, Bitbucket, Kaggle, etc..)
- Cover Letter explaining your background and interests
- Research Statement: The research statement should include a clearly articulated description of past research experience and research interests (1-2 pages)
- References: Please provide the names of at least two mentors/supervisors or senior colleagues who will be able to provide (upon request) letters of recommendation.