Jobs at NetSI
Research Professor (Open Rank) Network Science - NetSI@Roux
The Roux Institute and Network Science Institute
Northeastern University invites applications for a research faculty member focused on network and computational sciences located at The Roux Institute at Northeastern University, in Portland, Maine. The position is open rank, non-tenure-track research faculty positions. All topic areas within network and computational sciences will be considered, but candidates with experience in the applied fields of digital health, population and personalized health, and life sciences are encouraged to apply.
The research faculty member will be responsible for building an independent research program that is strategically aligned with the Roux and Network Science Institutes. The ideal candidate will have expertise in one or more of the following research areas:
- Network medicine and biological networks
- Supply chain and manufacturing networks
- Network epidemiology and digital health
- Human dynamics, mobility networks, and wearables
- Machine learning and graph algorithms applied to health & life sciences.
The successful candidate will be appointed as a Research Professor (at the Assistant, Associate, or Full Research Professor rank) in one or more of Northeastern’s Colleges and Departments, aligned with their background and expertise. In addition, they will be named as core members of the Roux Institute and the Network Science Institute. They will report to their disciplinary department chair in their role as a faculty member, but their primary supervisory relationships and service commitments will be within Roux and NetSI’s research programs. In order to enable a strong start to their research program, the successful candidate will be provided startup resources, including salary support for three years, during which time they will be expected to secure externally funded salary support for subsequent years.
The Roux Institute
The research faculty member will appointed as a Roux Institute Member and will be fully integrated into the unique setting at the Roux Institute dedicated to entrepreneurial activity, translational work, and community focused outcomes. The Roux Institute is designed as an engine of innovation, talent, and economic growth in Portland, the state of Maine, and the region. With leading companies at the table from day one, research teams work together with Roux’s entrepreneurship team and regional businesses to translate new research into business ventures.
Network Science Institute
The research faculty member will also be a core member of the Network Science Institute, which has its central operations in Boston MA and additional hub sites forming across Northeastern’s global university system campuses in the US, Canada, and the UK. As a NetSI member, the research faculty member will be connected to a vibrant intellectual community, including professional development programs, seed grants, speaker series, workshops and a wide range of collaborative opportunities. Additionally, they will have the opportunity to supervise doctoral students enrolled in the network science doctoral program.
- Develop an independent research program centered around computational and network science, in applied topics relevant to Roux Institute partners.
- Carry out basic or applied research in an area of considerable scope and complexity; analyze and publish findings.
- Build strong ties with interdisciplinary collaborators and industry, nonprofit, or government partners and actively engage these groups in their research program.
- Prepare grant proposals, and obtain sponsored funds for research
- Supervise research staff, post-docs, and graduate students; provide mentorship and training opportunities.
- Present research and participate on hiring and strategic committees, as needed.
- PhD or other terminal degree in social, biological, information or physical science field, with the expertise appropriate for appointment at the rank of Research Assistant Professor, Research Associate Professor, or Research Professor by the appointment start date.
- Demonstrated track record of scholarly achievement in relevant areas of network science, complexity science, computer science, and data science with commensurate publication and research funding history.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively within interdisciplinary research teams and build long-term relationships with external partners.
- Excellent communication skills across diverse audiences and settings.
- Entrepreneurial, energetic, and collaborative leadership skills. A strategic mindset. Ability to work in a fast-paced and innovative setting. Experience working in an industry research setting is desirable.
To apply please submit the following:
- a cover letter highlighting research interests, research and teaching accomplishments and relevant professional experience
- a curriculum vitae
- a diversity, equality and inclusion statement to reflect on plans to contribute to a diverse and inclusive community through scientific collaboration and/or research that addresses themes of gender, sexuality, race, and ethnicity.
- the names and contact information of at least three references
Compensation is commensurate with qualifications. Some travel may be required to other regional campuses, particularly Boston.
The Roux and Network Science Institutes are strongly committed to fostering excellence through diversity and recognize the strength that diversity in all its forms brings to the research endeavor. We seek candidates who share these values, who are willing to work with and learn from people across a wide range of disciplinary and cultural backgrounds, and who are committed to open science and reproducibility, and who pride in their scientific integrity. We enthusiastically welcome qualified applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities, and persons of any sexual orientation, gender identity, and gender expression.
Northeastern University is an equal opportunity employer, seeking to recruit and support a broadly diverse community of faculty and staff. Northeastern values and celebrates diversity in all its forms and strives to foster an inclusive culture built on respect that affirms inter-group relations and builds cohesion.